I thought my local landfill was closing? What's going on?

Your local landfill is still open. Its easier to think of it under new management by seasoned professionals. IDAWY is a more centralized management of County solid waste. We aim to reduce costs by utilizing the strengths of each county and location. Where there are needs we utilize other locations and other counties to fill the needs within the Regional District.

Questions to be corrected

Q: How much will it cost me to drop off a pickup load of garbage?

A: The charge for District residents to drop off a pickup or single axle trailer load (or smaller) of garbage is a flat fee of $5.00. Larger loads, like double axle trailers, dump bed trucks, etc. are weighed at $32 per ton with a $5 minimum fee. Out of District rates are higher, in most cases. Visit our Fees page for a complete rate list. Visit our fees page for acceptable proof of residency documents.

Q: I have a problem regarding my curbside garbage, or recycling can. Who can I call?

A: IDAWY is responsible for disposing of municipal solid waste within the District but each city contracts with a waste hauler for curbside garbage, or recycling. Please contact your city or hauler for issues regarding your curbside service. You can find your city’s public works phone number on their website.

Q: What are the District boundaries?

A: See our page about the IDAWY’s special district.

Q: What ID or documents can I provide as proof of residency?

A: A driver’s license or other current government issued ID with address, utility bill (within the last six months), property tax notice (within the last year), a dated work order, building permit, invoice, or similar document (within the last three months) that reasonable demonstrates residency, property ownership, or performance of work within the District, vehicle insurance card (with address), safety or emissions documents (with address). Please visit our fees page for a list of acceptable documents proving residency.

Q: Why are prices higher for Out-of-District residents?

A: IDAWY operates a state-of-the art solid waste system for the benefit of the community it serves. Construction and operation of the system is paid for in part by residents of the District through the Household Use Fee. Charging more to out-of-Disrtict customers helps keep costs down for the District residents and also helps reduce traffic congestion at the facility on busy days.

Q: Are you hiring?

A: Please visit our employment page for job announcements.

Q: Can I take a tour of the facilities?

A: Yes! Please call (208) 417-1625 to schedule a tour of any or all of our facilities.

Q: What does MSW stand for?

A: MSW stands for municipal solid waste more commonly known as trash or garbage consisting of everyday items we use and then throw away such as product packaging, grass clippings, furniture, clothing, bottles, food scraps, newspapers, appliances, paint, and batteries. “Regular" garbage may come from non-industrial sources, such as residential homes, restaurants, retail centers, and/or office buildings.

Q: What does C&D stand for?

A: C&D stands for construction and demolition waste that is generally from construction, renovation, repair and demolition of houses, large building structures, roads, bridges, piers, and/or dams. Some examples of C&D waste include, but not limited to, concrete, rebar, wood, paneling, linoleum, and carpet.

Q: What does RCD stand for?

A: RCD stands for

Q: What does PCS stand for?

A: PCS stands for Petroleum contaminated soil which is soil excavated for storage, treatment or disposal containing any containing any of the following contaminants at or above non-residential soil remediation levels (SRLs):

benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, total xylenes, acenaphthylene, anthracene, benz(A)anthracene, benzo(A)pyrene, benzo(B)fluoranthene, benzo(K)fluoranthene, chrysene, dibenz(A,H)anthracene, fluoranthene, fluorene, indenopyrene, naphthalene or pyrene.

Solid Waste PCS is excavated soil contaminated with petroleum, with regulated contaminates detected above residential SRLs but below non-residential SRLs. Non-regulated Soil is soil where the regulated contaminants fall below residential SRLs. If special waste results are above non-residential SRLs, verify the waste will not need to be classified as hazardous waste.

Q: Does the landfill smell?

A: Unfortunately, it does. It’s full of garbage so you probably have a fairly good idea already of what it smells like. However, most of the odors are confined to the landfill active tipping face (the area where garbage is buried every day). Occasionally houses nearby can smell odors but IDAWY does its absolute best to keep odors contained. We’ve installed temporary cover over part of the landfill to keep odors in and we have a landfill gas to energy system in place which not only converts landfill gas to energy (very green), but also prevents landfill gas from escaping (escaping gas causes odors). Capturing landfill gas also prevents the release of potent green house gases into the atmosphere.

Q: Does the landfill accept large items, like a couch, refrigerator, or vehicle?

A: The landfill accepts all large items except vehicles. Vehicles are best taken to a wrecking yard or donated to one of the many non-profit organizations who will take them and refurbish them. IDAWY also will take large tires, such as tractor or semi-trailer tires for the appropriate fee. Please check the site appropriate fee page to see what the relevant fee will be.

Q: How much trash does the landfill receive each day?

A: IDAWY accepts approximately 1,400 tons of trash each day, Monday through Friday and approximately 600 tons on Saturday, most of which is residential waste delivered by residents.

Q: What is a landfill cell?

A: Each cell of the landfill is a carefully engineered depression or bowl in the earth. This highly engineered system protects the groundwater and air from decomposing waste. Each cell has its own leachate (water from landfill waste) collection system which is collected from the cell for proper disposal.

Q: Why are landfill cells lined?

A: Landfill cells are lined to protect the environment.

Q: What are landfill cells lined with?

A: Each Liner is comprised of different layers of various materials. Each layer serves a different purpose, but all are intended to protect the environment. The first layer consists of clay, which prevents moisture from leaving the cell area. The next layer is a plastic made of High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE), also meant to prevent moisture from leaving the cell, but also meant to encapsulate the waste. The next layer consists of a drain net to allow moisture to flow unobstructed to the leachate collection point. The final layer is a soil layer to protect the layers underneath, especially the HDPE layer, from sharp objects. Once a cell is lined, it is ready to be filled with waste.

Q: Do landfill cell liners ever go bad or expire?

A: No, they are designed to last many hundreds of years.

Q: What is burnable green waste?

A: Green waste, also known as "biological waste," is any organic waste that can be composted. It is most usually composed of refuse from gardens such as grass clippings or leaves, and domestic or industrial kitchen wastes. Green waste does not include things such as dried leaves, pine straw, or hay.

Q: Where can I take old paint?

A: Old Paint can be dropped off at the HHW facility. Alternately, it can be dried out with floor dry, cat litter, or by pouring it onto an old piece of carpet and then placed directly in your garbage can.

Q: What items can I drop off at the household hazardous waste facility?

A: Some of the most common items include: Gas, oil, automotive products, paint, thinner, cleaning products, etc.

Q: What is e-waste?

A: Electronic items that are no longer needed, whether in working or non-working order, like televisions, computers, cell phones, and monitors. E-waste does not include appliances, like microwaves, toasters, blenders, etc.

Q: How much does e-waste cost to drop off?

A: IDAWY accepts all e-waste at all sites for no additional charge.

Q: Is there a limit on the quantity of HHW that can be delivered at one time?

A: Any HHW deposited at the HHW facility must be in containers that are 5 gallon or smaller and a limit of 20 gallons of any one item/product can be deposited at one time. Visit our Household Hazardous Waste page for additional HHW information.

Q: Is the HHW open to businesses?

A: No. As its name indicates, the HHW is for Household Hazardous Waste, not Business Hazardous Waste. Please visit our Helpful Links page for a list of businesses who will safely dispose of hazardous waste from your business, for a fee.

Q: Is the HHW and e-waste drop off open to businesses and out-of-district customers?

A: No. There is a cost associated with properly disposing of household hazardous and electronic waste, therefore the facility is only open to District residents. Please provide appropriate proof of residency when dropping off materials.

Q: What is the Reuse shed?

A: The Reuse shed is where we place usable (in their original packaging) items that have been dropped off as HHW but might find a second life in the hands of someone else. Items that can sometimes be found in the reuse shed include, paint, fertilizer, weed killer, and automotive products.

Q: Who can use the Reuse shed?

A: Any IDAWY is welcome to check the reuse shed’s inventory any time during open hours.

Q: What is considered Special Handling Waste?

A: Anything that must be handled differently from regular garbage, either at the customer’s request or for operational reasons.

Q: How do I know if my waste is special?

A: Because every special waste is different, please visit our Special Handling Waste page to contact our Special Waste Coordinator who will be happy to answer your questions.

Q: Do I need to make advance arrangements to dispose of special waste?

A: All special handling waste, with a few exceptions, should be profiled for acceptance. Please visit our Special Handling Waste page for more information.

Q: What is the special waste acceptance process?


Complete and submit a profile form

Schedule your waste

Make payment arrangements

Deliver the waste (or arrange for delivery) at your scheduled time

Sit back and relax. It’s all taken care of.

Q: When can I deliver my special waste to you?

A: Special Handling waste can be scheduled on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 7am to 4pm, unless the special waste is arriving in a roll off bin. Roll off bins must be scheduled but can arrive 7am to 5pm, Monday through Friday.

Q: What is the disposal process?

A: Waste is delivered to IDAWY, per the profiling and scheduling instructions. An employee will direct you where to place your waste if it’s a small load, or unload pallets into bins for delivery to the landfill cell. Special waste delivered to the landfill cell is mixed with other trash and crushed and compacted by a 60-ton landfill compactor.

Q: How can I be sure my waste is destroyed?

A: Any special waste going through the process described above is left unrecognizable and rendered irretrievable. Additionally, our employees have been participating in this very important process for many years. We are very aware of how important it is for this waste to be destroyed.

Q: Can I watch my waste be destroyed?

A: You may choose to watch your waste from beginning to end or you may leave at any time during the process. You are also welcome to take pictures. We want you to be comfortable with our process and leave knowing your special waste has been handled appropriately.

Q: Can IDAWY unload my pallets?

A: IDAWY has a forklift and ramp for easy unloading of your palletized waste.

Q: Will IDAWY pick up my special waste?

A: IDAWY doesn’t do any hauling or pick up. Customers may deliver special waste themselves, contract with a waste hauler, or in cases of large or palletized loads, contract with an over the road trucking company.

Q: Can I get a Certificate of Destruction once my special waste is destroyed?

A: IDAWY does not have one at this time.

Q: What is the cost to dispose of Special Waste?

A: Special Waste disposal costs $85 per ton with a $25 minimum fee. Special Waste disposal, with a Certificate of Destruction, costs $130 per ton with a $30 minimum fee. Special Waste disposal, with a Certificate of Destruction plus any additional services (typically at the customer’s request) is $150 per ton with a $50 minimum fee. Please visit our Special Handling Waste page for more information.